Saturday, July 25, 2009

Shoulder Sex..



As we all know, the shoulder pad's return isn’t exactly breaking news anymore, but it is a trend that I really love so I chose to write about it for this week’s street style entry.

About a year and a half a go, one of my best friends and I were having one of our notorious, late night, power fashion conversations while sitting on his balcony with a few cocktails. Some how we got on the topic of the 80’s power suit, and how amazing it was. At the time, I didn’t really see it returning and being as fabulous as it actually did. The more and more I tried to envision it I kept flashing back to images of the Golden Girls and other late 80's early 90's TV shows with OLD woman.

The more I began to see it emerge the more I began to remember pictures of my mother in her photo albums, standing at 5'11 and 117 pounds in some of the most amazing
80's one-piece mini skirts with insane leather and denim jackets and her high-waisted denim shorts.. I couldn’t wait to see the shoulder pad come back in a major way. Now, it is one of my FAVORTIE trends.. I think it's VERY sexy, and as I've heard before, the shoulders truly are one of the sexiest parts of a woman..

Designers like Balmain, Louis Vuitton, Proenza Schouler, Martin Margiela and Balenciaga have all sent some of the most amazing looks down the runways recently, totally bringing back one of the most talked about "fashion faux paus" of the eighties and I think its glorious, haha..

Celebrities from Rihanna, Beyonce, Victoria Beckham, Lady Gaga, to Lindsay Lohan, Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen and even Mylie Cyrus have all been seen rocking jackets, dresses and tops with shoulder pads of all different shapes and sizes.

I choose to post images showing the style in editorials, on celebrities, and also on the street. I have to admit this will be one trend that I will be very sad to see fade, but as they say, all good things must come to an end. I just hope with the futuristic looks that are to come, a good, strong, sexy shoulder will be something we will be seeing more of in the future.






(images from lookbook.nu, models.com, streepeeper and trendycrew)